Hodgdon Bros Yachts
began building wooden schooners in the 19th century and has the longest family history of boat builders in the USA. The Hodgdon family have launched over 400 vessels into the Damariscotta River from East Boothbay, Maine for nearly 200 years. Caleb Hodgdon started it all with the launching of a 42' pinky schooner for the local fishing fleet in 1816. At the time, Hodgdon’s primary business was a sawmill and gristmill. Between 1850 and 1895 the yard and the mill prospered, and in addition, 24 schooners (all commercial vessels) were launched. Caleb oversaw the operation until 1870, when his sons, C. George and James P. Hodgdon took over. During the 20th century, the fourth and fifth generations joined the business. During the Korean War, Hodgdon Bros built twelve 144' Patrol boats. In the middle of this production in 1954, disaster struck and a fire destroyed most of the yard's buildings and records. Sonny Hodgdon rebuilt the sheds, won a contract to build Bill Tripp Sr.'s first boat. He went on to secure two contracts from Sparkman & Stevens and built 24 small boats of his own design between 1956 and 1960. In 1979, Timothy Hodgdon joined the family business and adopted construction methods that transformed the company. Today, the company includes six divisions: Hodgdon Yachts, Hodgdon Custom Tenders, Hodgdon Interiors, Hodgdon Yacht Services and Hodgdon Defense Composites. Hodgdon is now known worldwide, with locations in Maine, Rhode Island and Monaco.